17 April 2010

SHEILA MAJID - A Real Malaysian (3)

.
How do these stories affect you when it comes to your identity as a Malaysian? Especially in the current landscape of controversial racial and religious issues?
.
It's all petty. None of us originated from here! I'm sure your ancestors came from China and they were probably merchants who came here. Same with the Indian Malaysians. Everybody was travelling the world to conduct business, and they decided to stay put in a certain area.
.
I think all the issues today are very petty because 30 years ago, we were doing very good together. Why is it all coming up today? It is all political. I'd say leave the people alone. If you want to play your politics, don't get us involved. We were fine and well before, and we lived together in harmony. It's all about power and money. I think so many have forgotten the fundamentals of life — being nice to each other.
.
The Malaysia then was more open and tolerant. From a musician's perspective, for example, you have concerts and foreign artists coming in today, but people want to make a fuss over little things. We have a TV in our living room, and at the touch of a button our children can already see all those skimpy clothes if they want to. We are making an issue over little things, when there are other more important issues to be addressed.
.
Come on, do not insult our intelligence. Do you think they will go to a concert and suddenly want to be exactly like that? I may want to have a body like Beyonce (laughs), but, come on, I'm not going to be like her. I go and watch, learn and take what's positive, and will not do whatever I feel is against my religion or culture. My parents brought us up in an environment which was very open-minded, and we could discuss a lot of things, and yet they made sure we had our religious values, too. We grew up okay! And not less Malay.
.
I was brought up and exposed to Western culture, but it does not make me less Malay. I speak English because my father was an academic man, and he wanted us to speak the language well. Today I can converse in both Malay and English.
.
Why was the generation before more confident than the generation today? What happened along the way?
.
For my children, we speak Malay and English at home, but I also send them to Chinese school. My eldest is 19 and speaks Mandarin, English and Malay. They will all know Mandarin. I think it's an asset, and I think China is going to be a big economic powerhouse.
.
And say what you want, but English is an international language today. Malay Malaysians are beginning to have an inferiority complex because they cannot converse in English fluently. We are talking about, "Oh you must make sure you are Malay, and know your language." Well, of course we will know the Malay language, it is our mother tongue! At the end of the day, we are just going to be katak bawah tempurung and jaguh kampung lah.
.
What are your hopes for Malaysia ? What gives you hope?
.
Keep politics out of our music, keep it out of sports. When everyone wants to put their two cents' worth when they don't even know the subject, it is worrying.
.
Let us put it this way: there are two houses. One has a beautiful exterior, but the other is sturdy. If you ask a lay person, of course he or she would pick the beautiful one; but ask an architect, and he or she would tell you that it does not have the right foundation or structure. Today people with no expertise whatsoever are giving opinions in whatever fields they like. Leave it to the experts!
.
I am not saying everything is negative in this country, but compared to 30 years ago, people's priorities are so different. Today people are more into self gain, rather than what is good for the community, society and country. But my children give me hope. They are global in their outlook.
.
I always say you must not forget your roots, however modern you are. Hopefully they will grow up to be people who are compassionate and caring. I think it is important for it to start with parents and the schools, to bring all of this back. Do not look at each other as Indian, Chinese or Malay. We are Malaysians, kan ?




.

No comments:

Post a Comment